Skip to main content

Mum's the Word

I know it's too early for a Mothers' Day post despite doing sketches for 4 designs of Mothers' Day cards when I woke up this morning. But I've always wanted to write a post on my mother. In the past, I remember I used to write a lot about her in a negative light but as I grew older, I realize that everyone has their quirks and my mum is one of them because she is still a human being prone to make mistakes and has certain behaviour that are uniquely hers. 

Some of her habits do annoy me, I admit, and as much as I try to speak nicely to her, sometimes I unconsciously raise my voice out of annoyance because she can be too hyper emotional and keeps wanting assurance and whatever I said, she doesn't seem to listen if it's not what she wants to hear. I mean to me, it's a normal reaction if someone is annoying to that extreme but the thing is, she's my mum. I've got no right to raise my voice.

But let's not dwell on it. She obviously loves us even though she's not as affectionate as other parents...infact, both my parents are not affectionate. They don't kiss or hug or say I LOVE YOU but they show that they love and care through their own ways like preparing lunch for me when I go to school the last time and even now when I go to work because my mum knows I hate going to the canteen to buy food..heh. Plus, I'm a scrooge when it comes to buying food for myself. But still, I have to eat and basically I can survive on just eating bread for lunch and that's what she has been packing for me. Oh, including a piping hot bottle of tea and milo on Fridays.

See, aren't I pampered despite her many er..annoying quirks?

Still, if I think she's annoying when she tries her best to get my assurance, repeatedly, she must be more annoyed with me because I have my own quirks too...like...not picking up dirty clothes and letting it gather before  I bring the whole lot to the back for washing. Oh, but it's not annoying as me  being calculative over buying of groceries and take away food and ESPECIALLY takeaway food because they're so expensive and a waste of money compared to home cooked food. Look, I would rather buy groceries than takeaway food. Please read my disclaimer on me being a scrooge when it comes to buying food in the above paragraph...haha.

So, do I have the right to be angry and annoyed at her? Perhaps I don't have the right but it's just a normal reaction. But it does cross the line if I let this behaviour continue or I don't stop myself right there and continue to raise my voice. Most of the time, I simmer down and just let her rant and seriously, you don't want to hear her rant. It's SUPER annoying because she will go on a repeat mode for like 10 to 15 min. If you're lucky.

Do other people's mums behave like this too? I know I should count myself lucky because she is trying her best to provide for us, not financially, but in giving us the necessary love and care just like any other loving mum. I am blessed :) (yeah..except her emotional mood swings and rants).

Visit my online store http://www.facebook.com/mylittlecardshop

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Step at A Time

Hello there It has been a while, right? I used to treat this blog as a place for me to rant, talk about nonsensical things and interests that, when I think back about it, were pretty cringeworthy. But it was part of the process of me growing up and navigating through my life which is full of ups and downs, just like the tidal waves. I still need a form of outlet to write out my thoughts and I have been journaling for the last few years. At first, I was still writing nonsense, or simply writing about how my day went, but I try to make it a more conscious journalling where I will write about things that I can take lessons from or to reflect on. So how has life been for me? Well, I no longer am running an online shop where I used to do customised cards and then just specializing in box cards. I do want to have an online business, preferably one I don't have to travel to meet people.  If you read my last post about being zen, I think I have 'tripled' the amount of zen inside of...

Listen to Me

It kinda irks me when I am trying to express an opinion or sharing a piece of knowledge but it's met with strong objection or Im being cut half way before I even finished. I mean...come on...does it hurt to actually listen first, doesnt matter if u agree or not? Yes I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions but it's frustrating because I feel like a sore loser. That sort of conversation is actually begging to be turned into some huge argument if I am equally annoying and equally strong headed as well. But I dont want to do that especially if they are my friends. Then again, I am subjected to being called a wimp or somebody who cant stand up strong against what she believes in or her own opinions. That will sorta give the person a sense of pride for getting a landslide victory. At first I used to think that hey, maybe the person has a point and I am wrong. But come to think of it, that's bull! It's one thing not to argue and another thing to let ur own opinions b...

Not Gone from Good

Life hasn't been good lately especially in the last two weeks. The latest news is that it seems that almost everyone has an increase in their pay due to changes in the civil servant wage scale and very unfortunately, my group didn't get it. So my boss, whose post is that of a manager and the operations manager, have quite a significant salary rise.  I heard she got a 10% pay rise. 10%!!! look, even the attendants got a pay rise. What we got? nada! zilch! Why? Because apparently our salary is of a competitive range. Sigh, such is the unfairness of life. I'm already struggling as it is and then apparently now, the rich has become richer. The poor remains nothing but a destitute mess. So I guess the only chance for a pay rise is for me to be promoted and though I do not know how much pay rise will that be, at least it is going to be slightly better. The problem is that I have no clue when I will get promoted. I am not one of those people with many super ideas that will great...