Skip to main content

Life 101: Matter of Principles

One of the key things I learn, though not directly regarding the course, is about principles of life. The facilitator has gone through a lot in life including dealing with lost lives that his principles are shaped around them. He learns that we can't take life for granted like one minute you are talking to the person and the next evening (no..not even the next day) he's gone. He also studies psychology so he knows how the human mind works and why some people behave in this way or that way. Then also, never assume. This one also relates to the course that he's teaching regarding workplace safety and health. You can't assume that this place is safe. Always have to be careful and practice caution to avoid accidents because accidents can be avoided if we take steps to be careful. Of course people will argue that if it happens, it happens. But why succumb to that 'care less' attitude. Life is precious enough. In my case, one of my ex school mates passed away early this week. When I checked her fb status, she made an update yesterday and then the next morning, heard the news that she had passed away.

So I was thinking that there is no clear definition of death but it can happen to anyone. Then I thought to myself that since this is the case, we should live each day though it's our last. We will never know if one day we end up sick (and not just the simple flu kind mind you) and then yearning to do things that we used to do back then when we were healthier. A lot of times we take things or people for granted and we spend our lives wishing it could have been better and over minute things like why are we not as pretty and slim others *guilty* but these are nitty gritty stuffs. We should focus more on the core of life and how to live life meaningfully. Hence we must have principles in life.

Everyone's principles in life differ from others but it's a matter of sticking to them and believing in them.

Need help? I got some of these from the internet:

Appreciate the goodness in life

Don't always focus on the negative. Start appreciating what is good in our life and learn to be more positive

Be in control of our attitude

We ourselves determine what kind of attitude we want and whether we want our day to be good or bad. We can be influenced by the things going on around us but it doesn't determine what sort of person we are.

Be proactive

A lot of times, Singaporeans especially, like to complain which is basically a national past time. But in order to improve our life, we must learn to be more proactive rather than reactive to get the most of our life. 

Strive for improvement

We can never be perfect because it is a fallacy but we can strive for improvement

Enthusiasm

Whatever we do, we must have the enthusiasm to do things and improve on them by developing the knowledge and being resourceful.

Integrity

Do things with integrity which means sincerity and honesty. Don't need to lie or steal or stab someone else's back. Don't need to give empty promises. Mean what you say. This is for both personal and work.

Courage

This stems from having self belief in ourselves that we can go far, succeed and go far in life.

Humility

We can be rich or poor but we must have humility which simply means having respect, compassion, gratitude and love

Contentment

It doesn't mean we are rich we can enjoy life. We have to learn to be contented in life and not easily take things or people for granted.

It's best we sit down, write down in our journal and see what kind of principles we want to have in life. Actually without knowing, we do have principles but we have to refresh them in our mind and start being focused instead of always channeling bad vibes and be easily discouraged in life.






I make cards..help support me! http://www.facebook.com/mylittlecardshop

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Step at A Time

Hello there It has been a while, right? I used to treat this blog as a place for me to rant, talk about nonsensical things and interests that, when I think back about it, were pretty cringeworthy. But it was part of the process of me growing up and navigating through my life which is full of ups and downs, just like the tidal waves. I still need a form of outlet to write out my thoughts and I have been journaling for the last few years. At first, I was still writing nonsense, or simply writing about how my day went, but I try to make it a more conscious journalling where I will write about things that I can take lessons from or to reflect on. So how has life been for me? Well, I no longer am running an online shop where I used to do customised cards and then just specializing in box cards. I do want to have an online business, preferably one I don't have to travel to meet people.  If you read my last post about being zen, I think I have 'tripled' the amount of zen inside of...

Listen to Me

It kinda irks me when I am trying to express an opinion or sharing a piece of knowledge but it's met with strong objection or Im being cut half way before I even finished. I mean...come on...does it hurt to actually listen first, doesnt matter if u agree or not? Yes I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions but it's frustrating because I feel like a sore loser. That sort of conversation is actually begging to be turned into some huge argument if I am equally annoying and equally strong headed as well. But I dont want to do that especially if they are my friends. Then again, I am subjected to being called a wimp or somebody who cant stand up strong against what she believes in or her own opinions. That will sorta give the person a sense of pride for getting a landslide victory. At first I used to think that hey, maybe the person has a point and I am wrong. But come to think of it, that's bull! It's one thing not to argue and another thing to let ur own opinions b...

Ray of Light

The act of falling in love. Very subjective and it also depends on the object you desire. Well, if it is the 'whoa mama!' sort of hunk or good looker, then yours truly has fallen in love many times over and over again. But a guy who has stolen my heart for good..well...that has yet to happen. But let's not talk about my non existent love life. Let's just ponder over the act of falling in love. From what I have observed through several tv shows or even movies, I gather that well..not everyone is so lucky to have fallen in love at first sight. It takes time, and maybe it will even take boyfriend after boyfriend or girlfriend after girlfriend before reality smacks your face and you end up with your very first boyfriend (gasp!). What a truly merry go round. Hey, it happens. Because we make mistakes and we are too blind to notice how someone can truly bring you happiness by their sheer volumes of care and concern for you. In the midst of crisis, a ray of light shines through...