Skip to main content

A Near Miss Accident & Birthday Reflections



One of the things that I sometimes fail to do is reminding myself to say my daily gratitude but I try my best to pray for my family's safety, health and well being as much as I can. They are after all, one of the pillars supporting me, despite the many disagreements we have. I believe the bond we share over the years, even surpasses the friendships that I have. This is exclusive to me, as last week, on my birthday, when I used to think that going out with friends seemed more enjoyable than having to celebrate it with my family, this perception soon overturned. 

This year was the first time I disabled the birthday reminder on Facebook so I didn't get any birthday wishes on the social platform. But I didn't realise that it was also the thing that kept my close friends in the loop about when my birthday is. So I didn't get any greetings from them. If you say that I am not disappointed, no matter how hard I try not to think about it as I know they are all busy, you're right. I was but I soon accept the fact that at this age, people have their own personal matters to take care of, and more urgent ones, that it was legit of them to forget. 

So that puts me into perspective. Who and what matters in my life. And the meaning of friendship. I hesitated on putting my annual picture of me with my birthday cake on instagram, haha, due to this but I didn't want to take away the tradition over this petty reason. It's not as though my birthday is completely forgotten. I am still touched by my colleagues' gestures in sending me individual messages to wish me. I really appreciate it of course, because it was unexpected.

Perhaps this is my chance to re-evaluate my life and focus on things that matter, rather than on small petty matters. And also, for me to know who to be closer to and who to slowly move away from especially when I feel that our friendship is not going anywhere like they could not bother to even ask you what's going on in your life.  It's all about, let ME tell you what I am up to. A wake up call for me that I am not getting any younger. To be able to live for another year is a gift from God, and an even more special one if I am still in the best of health, my life is still relatively good and there are people who do care about you. Not about whether people wish you happy birthday or not. 

Last week too, my brother got in an accident and he was super lucky to have escaped with just bruises and minor scratches. He got knocked down by a car at a zebra crossing as he tried to make a dash for it. He was shaken of course but his primary concern was his handphone, whose screen stopped working, and I had to remind him that his life matters most. He reflected upon it, regretting his actions too for dashing across and yet, still can't get over the handphone damage so the next day, we went to get it repaired.

Things like this, when they happen, tend to jolt you out of your 'dreamy life' into the harsh realities of life that we can be taken away at any time. I was shocked of course but my mum didn't know. I've always told him to be careful on the road, whether or not he's driving, as he tends to argue saying that he has the right of ways. But there are so many errant drivers on the road these days, people with lesser patience, that naturally I fear for his safety. I try my best to pray for their safety, and I am very thankful God protected him in that instance coz many other things could have happened as this is after all, an accident, where his life is at stake.

Speaking of birthdays, this is my last year of being in my thirties. I may not be considered young already the next time people say, 'oh but you're still young...you can go far'...coz I sometimes get that especially from the older aged colleagues. My other focus is to purify my heart on a daily basis. 

But if we are more aware and in touch with our soul, to reach a pure state, we must learn to be more mindful of our words and actions, and while it is easier said than done, I believe it's doable. Like I have every right to ignore or say nasty words expressing my displeasures such as to my close friends who forgot about my birthday, or to that errant driver for knocking down my brother. But to forgive and move on is also a means for me to find closures on these two things that have been bothering me mentally. Let us be granted ease in our souls so that we can carry on being the best that we can be each day.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Step at A Time

Hello there It has been a while, right? I used to treat this blog as a place for me to rant, talk about nonsensical things and interests that, when I think back about it, were pretty cringeworthy. But it was part of the process of me growing up and navigating through my life which is full of ups and downs, just like the tidal waves. I still need a form of outlet to write out my thoughts and I have been journaling for the last few years. At first, I was still writing nonsense, or simply writing about how my day went, but I try to make it a more conscious journalling where I will write about things that I can take lessons from or to reflect on. So how has life been for me? Well, I no longer am running an online shop where I used to do customised cards and then just specializing in box cards. I do want to have an online business, preferably one I don't have to travel to meet people.  If you read my last post about being zen, I think I have 'tripled' the amount of zen inside of...

Listen to Me

It kinda irks me when I am trying to express an opinion or sharing a piece of knowledge but it's met with strong objection or Im being cut half way before I even finished. I mean...come on...does it hurt to actually listen first, doesnt matter if u agree or not? Yes I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions but it's frustrating because I feel like a sore loser. That sort of conversation is actually begging to be turned into some huge argument if I am equally annoying and equally strong headed as well. But I dont want to do that especially if they are my friends. Then again, I am subjected to being called a wimp or somebody who cant stand up strong against what she believes in or her own opinions. That will sorta give the person a sense of pride for getting a landslide victory. At first I used to think that hey, maybe the person has a point and I am wrong. But come to think of it, that's bull! It's one thing not to argue and another thing to let ur own opinions b...

Ray of Light

The act of falling in love. Very subjective and it also depends on the object you desire. Well, if it is the 'whoa mama!' sort of hunk or good looker, then yours truly has fallen in love many times over and over again. But a guy who has stolen my heart for good..well...that has yet to happen. But let's not talk about my non existent love life. Let's just ponder over the act of falling in love. From what I have observed through several tv shows or even movies, I gather that well..not everyone is so lucky to have fallen in love at first sight. It takes time, and maybe it will even take boyfriend after boyfriend or girlfriend after girlfriend before reality smacks your face and you end up with your very first boyfriend (gasp!). What a truly merry go round. Hey, it happens. Because we make mistakes and we are too blind to notice how someone can truly bring you happiness by their sheer volumes of care and concern for you. In the midst of crisis, a ray of light shines through...