Skip to main content

Learning to Ride a Bike Mostly On His Own



If you  live in Singapore, this is a common sight where bicycles were strewn almost everywhere especially in certain places. It's based on a bike sharing app where you can download an app, pay a small fee, and then use the same app to unlock the bicycle.

Previously, we had to pay a deposit about $40 but ever since the big hoohaa over one of the service providers taking all the paid deposits after closing down, leaving hundreds stranded, they removed the compulsory deposit.

And that was where we came in, haha.

So my brother didn't know how to ride a bike. He did try in the past but it failed with him falling with bad scratches. Now this guy could drive a tonner, that huge army vehicle that you sometimes see on the road and smaller army vehicles and also military ambulance.

But he could not ride a bike.

So that kinda put a damper but he put off wanting to ride a bike for so long until they removed the deposit and he started to do some research as to how the charging was like now without the deposit. He thought that this time it was manageable like you choose how much you want to top up your account and then you utilise it until it is finished and then you top up again.

The first time he tried to ride again, we went to Punggol near to Waterway Point and we took some time to walk all the way down where it was less crowded. Now I didn't ride a bike for the longest time too, can safely since 2000, haha. But I tried my best to give him some pointers as and where I could and to be patient as well like putting myself into his shoes.

He tried to follow some but the rest he had to learn by himself such as learning to balance and then pedalling without often moving to the side off balance. It took him two hours to learn and he only managed to cycle very very short distance until he lost his balance again.


Look how sweaty he was, hehe




So freaking tired but it was fun still





As my brother is currently waiting for a chance to be interviewed, aka unemployed, when he can, he tried to practise more. He struggled but he was more determined the more he tried and he got better at the same time too.

The distance got longer and he could ride without being off balance most times. Of course he is still not perfect, but the fact that he tried and tried really showed his strong determination, like saying hey ' i got this'. 

One time, he tried to follow the park connectors at the East Coast Park but he was struggling. But he tried again using another set of park connectors and eventually, he cycled for almost 3 hours ending his journey at Marina Bay. Now that is some feat for a very new and amateur cyclist.

He didn't cycle all the way through. Those paths or slopes he didn't have too much confidence, he would unmount and pushed the bike. Even when he was feeling tired, he would do the same too. But the fact that he persevered was something to be proud of.

I had yet to follow him in a similar adventure like this and hope to one day be able to cycle along the park connectors with him. But he is starting his part-time job soon so I feel that at the very least, he achieved something in life and I hope he adopts this same learning attitude for other things as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One Step at A Time

Hello there It has been a while, right? I used to treat this blog as a place for me to rant, talk about nonsensical things and interests that, when I think back about it, were pretty cringeworthy. But it was part of the process of me growing up and navigating through my life which is full of ups and downs, just like the tidal waves. I still need a form of outlet to write out my thoughts and I have been journaling for the last few years. At first, I was still writing nonsense, or simply writing about how my day went, but I try to make it a more conscious journalling where I will write about things that I can take lessons from or to reflect on. So how has life been for me? Well, I no longer am running an online shop where I used to do customised cards and then just specializing in box cards. I do want to have an online business, preferably one I don't have to travel to meet people.  If you read my last post about being zen, I think I have 'tripled' the amount of zen inside of...

Listen to Me

It kinda irks me when I am trying to express an opinion or sharing a piece of knowledge but it's met with strong objection or Im being cut half way before I even finished. I mean...come on...does it hurt to actually listen first, doesnt matter if u agree or not? Yes I know everyone is entitled to their own opinions but it's frustrating because I feel like a sore loser. That sort of conversation is actually begging to be turned into some huge argument if I am equally annoying and equally strong headed as well. But I dont want to do that especially if they are my friends. Then again, I am subjected to being called a wimp or somebody who cant stand up strong against what she believes in or her own opinions. That will sorta give the person a sense of pride for getting a landslide victory. At first I used to think that hey, maybe the person has a point and I am wrong. But come to think of it, that's bull! It's one thing not to argue and another thing to let ur own opinions b...

Ray of Light

The act of falling in love. Very subjective and it also depends on the object you desire. Well, if it is the 'whoa mama!' sort of hunk or good looker, then yours truly has fallen in love many times over and over again. But a guy who has stolen my heart for good..well...that has yet to happen. But let's not talk about my non existent love life. Let's just ponder over the act of falling in love. From what I have observed through several tv shows or even movies, I gather that well..not everyone is so lucky to have fallen in love at first sight. It takes time, and maybe it will even take boyfriend after boyfriend or girlfriend after girlfriend before reality smacks your face and you end up with your very first boyfriend (gasp!). What a truly merry go round. Hey, it happens. Because we make mistakes and we are too blind to notice how someone can truly bring you happiness by their sheer volumes of care and concern for you. In the midst of crisis, a ray of light shines through...